OKC Facts & Trivia
We bet you didn't know that the first yield sign was installed right here in Oklahoma in 1950. Or that Johnny Bench, Ralph Ellison and Sam Bradford were all born in Oklahoma City.
Here are more fun facts about Oklahoma City and the state of Oklahoma:
- Oklahoma City is the largest city in the State of Oklahoma, with a metro population of more than 1.3 million
- Oklahoma City was settled by the historic Land Run of April 22, 1889. The city's population grew to more than 10,000 in a single day.
- I-35, I-40 and I-44 all converge in Oklahoma City. The metropolitan area has 130+ miles of federal interstate and state highways.
- Oklahoma City averages more than 300 days of sunshine per year
- The world's first installed parking meter was in Oklahoma City, on July 16, 1935.
- The first shopping cart was invented and used in Oklahoma City at Standard Food Markets in 1937.
- The state capitol building at 23rd and Lincoln is the only capitol in the nation with a working oil well on its grounds.
- Oklahoma means "Land of the Red People" in the Choctaw Language.
- Oklahoma was admitted to the Union on November 16, 1907 as the 46th state
- Oklahoma City is equal distant from Los Angeles and New York, and within 500 miles of 71 million people
- Oklahoma's state motto is Labor Omnia Vincit - Labor Conquers All Things
Oklahoma City's Native Sons and Daughters
- Johnny Bench - Baseball player
- Sam Bradford - NFL athlete
- Charlie Christian - Jazz musician
- Wayne Coyne - Lead singer of The Flaming Lips
- Ralph Ellison - Author
- Blake Griffin - NBA athlete
- Mat Hoffman - BMX athlete
- James Marsden - Actor
- Bobby Mercer - Baseball player
- Megan Mullaly - Actress
- Wes Welker - NFL athlete