By Steve Lackmeyer
The Military addition is platted east of the Sante Fe Train Station after the area is released for development by the federal government. The area was kept under U.S. Army control after it was settled by troops sent to keep order during and after the April 22, 1889, land run.
The Military addition is the city's “wholesale district,” where more than $28 million worth of merchandise, including produce, farm equipment and furniture, is moved through Oklahoma Territory.
The wholesale district enters into a years-long decline as manufacturers and businesses relocate to newer facilities north of downtown.
Developer Neal Horton begins buying properties in the wholesale district.