Oklahoma City is abuzz at holiday time. From viewing the twinkling holiday light displays to enjoying beloved annual holiday performances, Downtown in December, hosted by Devon Energy, is an annual series of events filled holiday fun for all ages. We have put together a list of the top 10 best things to experience during Downtown in December.
1. Downtown Oklahoma City and surrounding areas are aglow with twinkling holiday light displays and decorations this time of year. Tour the different displays along Film Row, Automobile Alley, and Bricktown.
2. One of the best ways to see the lights in Bricktown is from the water. Board the Bricktown Water Taxi for free canal rides Thursdays through Sundays from 6-9pm. You’ll see the holiday themed light displays and decoration, plus get a guided tour of the area.
3. Every child looks forward to their visit with Santa Claus. On Saturdays, head to the Devon Energy Center for Devon’s Saturday’s with Santa. Families can create holiday crafts, enjoy live music, ride the holiday train, and visit with Santa plus other holiday characters. And if the line to Santa gets a little too long, families can head across the street to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory at Myriad Gardens for even more holiday activities, food vendors and live performances.
4. On December 9th, start out the day at the SandRidge Santa Run. This annual event is fun for all ages with a 5K, one mile, kids’ run & prized costume contest.
5. After the race, head to the newly renovated Santa Fe Station for their holiday open house with free crafts, hot chocolate, and a host of activities.
6. Don’t miss out on the region’s only snow slope (manmade). LifeShare Winterfest & Snow Tubing at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark is a thrilling experience. Grab a tube and slide down the tubes on weekend days and then everyday December 16-24 and 26-January 1.
7. Tour the holiday lights and natural exhibits inside Myriad Garden’s Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. Enjoy free admission on Saturdays as part of the Devon’s Saturday’s with Santa event or Sunday evenings with OG&E Merry and Bright Free Admission Sundays.
8. Downtown in December offers more than just activities. There are numerous opportunities to find that perfect gift. In Midtown’s Holiday Pop-Up Shops you’ll find 35 Oklahoma-owned shops, which change weekly, and a Christmas tree lot. Open Thursday to Sunday.
9. Strap on your ice skates (or rent a pair) and go skating at the Devon Ice Rink. This outdoor rink is a local favorite for all ages. Come for public skate and special events daily November through January.
10. Downtown in December hosts a range of holiday performances too that can’t be missed. Get tickets and enjoy a range of holiday performances ranging from TransSiberian Orchestra, Mannheim Steamroller Christmas, Canterbury Christmas from Canterbury Voices, The Nutcracker from Oklahoma City Ballet, and The OKC Philharmonic’s The Christmas Show.
Downtown in December is filled with activities to celebrate the season. These are just some of the many events and activities for you to enjoy. Discover more Downtown in December activities at VisitOKC.com.