Here are 10 reasons to love OKC this winter:
1. Myriad Gardens: The Myriad Botanical Gardens always provide a beautiful locale to escape the hustle and bustle of downtown OKC, but in the wintertime, the gardens come to life in a whole new way complete with shopping, a festive outdoor atmosphere complete with lights and a selection of unique boutique-style vendors.
2. Santa: Be on the lookout for the big guy himself during the holiday season in OKC. From zipping through downtown on a Segway to appearing at the Devon Energy Center each Saturday, Santa definitely is making the rounds. He will even be reading stories and sharing hot chocolate with the kiddos on the Christmas Train at the Oklahoma Railway Museum.
3. Shop OKC: Some of the best local merchandise can be found all around town during the winter months. Head to Midtown for the annual Pop-Up Shops and find something for everyone on your list. Shop more than 60 booths at Deluxe Winter Market or take a stroll through the festive atmosphere at Myriad Gardens and shop away at the Winter Shoppes featuring 20 different vendors and a full-size carousel for just $1.
4. Fantastic live shows: There’s no shortage of talent in Oklahoma City. If you enjoy live performances, don’t miss Oklahoma City Ballet’s “The Nutcracker” or "The Christmas Show" presented by the Philharmonic. The Canterbury Choral Society’s presentation of "Holiday Classics" is sure to get you and your loved ones in the spirit of the season.
5. Holiday lights: My family absolutely loves the holiday lights in OKC. It’s a magnificent time to experience the city in a whole new way as beautiful decorations and light displays adorn buildings and businesses. If you haven’t visited Automobile Alley during the holiday season, you should definitely make plans to check it out as nearly 200,000 lights twinkle each night. As a bonus… there are also some really awesome shops along this stretch. Bricktown is also absolutely amazing in the winter and the decorations at Devon Energy Tower are truly a sight to behold.
6. Boathouse District: A world-class destination in the heart of OKC, the Boathouse District offers some great family fun, even during the winter. From zip lines and sky slides to climbing walls and cloud bounces, there are activities for all ages.
7. Snow Tubing Winter Festival: Hit the slopes at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Two slopes await you for a fun-filled afternoon for the entire family.
8. Devon Ice Rink: The young and young at heart are welcome to slip and slide the night (and day) away now through January. A bit rusty on the ice? Don’t fret, you can even take skating lessons so you will be ready to show off your mad skills to your kids, friends, co-workers or all of OKC. Check the schedule for rink hours and get ready to hit the ice.
9. Free Holiday Water Taxi Rides: Get in the holiday spirit and learn a little about Oklahoma’s incredible history during a fun-filled cruise on a Bricktown Water Taxi! On designated evenings in November and December, everyone can enjoy a free float down the beautifully-adorned Bricktown canal.
10. Harkins Tuesday Night Holiday Movies: Whether your favorite holiday flick includes an overgrown elf, hopping aboard a magical Christmas train, or going on a hysterical holiday adventure, don’t miss this opportunity to catch your favorite holiday classic on the big screen. Each Tuesday a different classic film will be featured. Check out the schedule and purchase tickets here.
No matter how you decide to spread the cheer this winter, get out there and See OKC! You will certainly be glad you did.