Once Thanksgiving dinner is over and the food coma sets in, you might hear a beloved niece, nephew, or your child proclaiming, “I’m bored.” Never fear! We’ve highlighted a stocking full of family-friendly activities sure to cure the most stubbornly bored.
On Friday, you might want to launch the weekend with a free Oklahoma City Streetcar ride before heading to the debut of the geodesic domed Holiday Pop-Up Shops in Midtown. Complimentary streetcar fares are available on weekends through Jan. 5. Holiday Pop-Up shops open Nov. 29 and feature local shops rotating weekly. When you need a break from shopping, grab a bite from nearby restaurants.
Take a riveting ride on The Polar Express at the Oklahoma Railway Museum, an interactive holiday experience with activities based on the classic children’s book of the same name by Chris Van Allsburg. As part of the ride, dancing chefs serve hot chocolate and a cookie.
Get your merry and bright on at the Oklahoma City Tree Lighting Festival presented by SONIC America’s Drive-in at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, Nov. 29, 5-7 p.m. The event includes tree lighting, performers, food trucks, face painting, and free visits with Santa. Admission is free.
Energize your Saturday naturally at the Myriad Botanical Gardens on a free guided walking tour from 10-11 a.m., then localize your holiday shopping on Small Business Saturday with excursions to a charming array of local, independent shops in Paseo and Plaza Districts, Automobile Alley, Western Avenue, and Midtown.
Thrill your clan with the sensational delights of Factory Obscura’s Mix-Tape, a 6,000-square-foot art installation with visuals, sounds, textures, and interactivity.
Kick back and relax on a free holiday cruise along the festively decorated Bricktown Canal and Bricktown Water Taxi. Free water taxi rides are available during the holidays, 6-9 p.m. starting Nov. 29.
Customize a holiday adventure by mixing or replacing the above experiences with any of the following destinations and events, or for even more ideas, check out the Visit OKC calendar. Be sure to confirm hours and details ahead of visiting any attraction or event.
- OKC Turkey Tracks 5K, Thanksgiving Day, 8:30 a.m. supports the US Marine Corps Toys for Tots Foundation and features a 5K and one-mile fun run. Participants are encouraged to bring new, unwrapped toys as gifts to Toys for Tots.
- Illuminations: Night Lights at the Crystal Bridge Conservatory, is a unique event utilizing the latest lighting technology to create a Northern Lights experience.
- Lyric Theatre’s holiday tradition returns with the 2019 edition of Charles Dickens’ classic, “A Christmas Carol,” sure to get your entire family in the holiday spirit.
- Holiday in the Park at Frontier City, opening Nov. 29, features Christmas lights, visits with Santa Claus, rides.
- Automobile Alley Lights, NW 4th to 10th St. on Broadway Ave., features more than 180,000 colorful LED lights draping the buildings in the historic district.
- Santa’s Wonderland at Bass Pro Shops features a range of free family holiday activities in a Christmas village setting along with free 4x6 photos of visits with Santa.
- Science Museum Oklahoma is a premier family destination with more than eight acres of hands-on science experiences, space and aviation artifacts, and more.
- The Caballeros Y Vaqueros exhibit at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum traces the roots of the Western cowboy from Africa, through Spain, to the New World.
- The Oklahoma City Museum of Art boasts one of the world’s largest public collections of Dale Chihuly glass and is a perennial favorite of guests of all ages. “Synonyms,” winner of the highest honor at the 2019 Berlin Film Festival, is the featured film on Nov. 29 and 30.
- Explore the Great EscApe, Cat Forest/Lion Overlook, Oklahoma Trails, and Sanctuary Asia at the Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Garden.
- The Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum is a symbol of enduring strength, hope, and understanding to all visitors. The outdoor memorial is open 24 hours a day, year-round.
- The OKC Thunder plays the New Orleans Pelicans at Chesapeake Energy Arena on Nov. 29.