There are plenty of reasons to visit Oklahoma City in the coming weeks with the return of Downtown in December. You can make a day out of it, or an entire weekend, but one thing is for sure, you're in for a real treat!
Starting November 14, experience these one-of-a-kind winter attractions in the heart of Oklahoma City, featuring thrilling outdoor skating at the Myriad Gardens, snow tubing rides down a 150-foot slope in the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark and even afternoon visits with Santa. But the fun doesn't stop there! Get active with a festive 5K fun run, enjoy shopping during a two-day winter market and even take free water taxi rides along the Bricktown Canal where you can get a magical view of the city surrounded by twinkling holiday lights.
With so much happening during Downtown in December, I've created a list to help you navigate your way through all of the holiday happenings!
Little Kid Fun
1. Devon Ice Rink- The Devon Ice Rink is in its 4th season at the Myriad Botanical Gardens and it's open 7 days a week. Click here for rates and hours.
2. Sonic Segway Santa- Looking for Santa? He can be found during events handing out treats on his Segway. You never know when he's watching (as the song goes)!
3. Free Movie Monday- What's better than free? A free movie at Harkins Theater in OKC! This does require you to sign up online, but here's more info if you're interested in checking out a flick!
4. Have an adventurous kid? Check out Santa's Adventures on the Oklahoma River. Experience the North Pole Climb, Santa Zip, Candy Cane Rock Wall and much more! Head to the Boathouse District starting weekends November 28 through January 4 for all of this fun!
5. Saturday's with Santa- Santa made time in his busy schedule to join us each Saturday between Thanksgiving and Christmas to enjoy holiday activities, crafts and entertainment. Stop in and say hi to Santa and partake in the fun!
1. Snow Tubing- Cruise down one of the country's largest manmade snow tubing slopes...there's also a smaller one for the smaller thrill seekers in your group. Click here for hours and rates.
2. Automobile Alley Lights on Broadway- Looking for some amazing holiday lights to view? Take a ride down Broadway in Automobile Alley and see more than 180,000 colorful LED lights. If you're looking for more lights, then don't stop there! Head downtown and check out all of the colorful lights along the canal while enjoying a free water taxi ride.
3. Enjoy Holiday shows? Check out Oklahoma City Ballet's The Nutcracker, OKC Philharmonic's Christmas Show, Lyric's A Christmas Carol, Reduxion Theatre Holiday Shows or The Book of Mormon at the Civic Center. We're serious...all of these are coming to OKC! Have you booked your trip yet?
4. Catch some action on the ice with Barons Hockey all winter long! Click here for the schedule.
Lastly, I certainly couldn't leave out shopping during the holidays. Get something for the entire family this holiday at Winter Shoppes at the Myriad Gardens, Holiday Pop-Up Shops at Midtown and the Deluxe Winter Market. You might even be able to find something great to wear for Art Council's Opening Night festivities to help bring in the New Year!
Whatever you do to celebrate holiday festivities, Downtown in December has all of this and more! For a full list of events, click here and start planning your time here in OKC!
Downtown for the Holidays!
Monday, November 10, 2014 by Tabbi Burwell