Summer is here! Take a staycation in OKC and brave some new adventures, see new sights and experience something new that you might not have seen before. Here's a list to get your trip started this summer:
- Oklahoma City Zoo & Science Museum Oklahoma: Looking for a place to keep the kids and yourself happy? Head to the OKC Zoo, named one of the best zoo’s in the U.S., and see more than 800 animals and indigenous plant life upon eight acres of fun. And with the new Wild Encounters option you can get a behind-the-scenes experience with animals like the Sea Lions, Elephants and Grizzly Bears, just to name a few. Not worn out or looking for day two plans? Science Museum Oklahoma (SMO) is just next door! Be sure to check out SMO's family-focused exhibit dubbed CurioCity. The 20,000 square-foot village features eight whimsical neighborhoods where children get a taste of the world of science. It’s definitely a must-see!
- Quirky OKC: Want something original and only OKC? We're home to some unique museums that even you may not know we have. Take an afternoon and head to the American Pigeon Museum. Or, hit up multiple museums in one day and see the American Banjo Museum in Bricktown, see bones and more at the Museum of Osteology or check out tons of china at the World Organization of China Painter’s Museum. It’s fun to get out and see things we might not know anything about—right here in OKC!
- Soak up the Sun at RIVERSPORT Adventures & RIVERSPORT Rapids: Perhaps you’re looking for fun on the water but you also want to be adventurous. Head to the Boathouse District just minutes from Bricktown to do everything from kayaking, canoeing, whitewater rafting and even zip lining. The perk is that you’ve got a great skyline to see when you’re eight stories high on the Sandridge Sky Trail. They're open seven days a week starting Memorial Day weekend. And remember to bring your towel!
- Racing, Casino & Adventure all in one: Spend the day betting on your favorite horse followed by dinner, drinks and slot playing in the evening all at Remington Park Racing & Casino. Make it a date night with dinner at one of their restaurants or test your luck in their casino which offers more than 700 games in OKC’s only casino.
- Entertain yourself in Bricktown: Weather you’re a baseball fan, movie fan, music lover or foodie, OKC’s Entertainment District has you covered for days on end. Take a cruise on the Bricktown Canal, catch an OKC Dodgers game or see a live concert at the Criterion…all just steps away from several hotels. Kids love Brickopolis and Hey Day with family-friendly fun games, laser tag, miniature golf and dining and adults love the rock-and-roll dueling pianos of Michael Murphy’s. Another popular attraction to Bricktown is the Bricktown Bike Bar, where some say this is the one of the best ways to experience downtown…while drinking and pedaling.
- Wine & Beer Fans Unite: If you’re a dark beer fan or a sweet wine type of gal, OKC is pouring with flavor! OKC is home to a number of excellent breweries, and several of them offer brewery tours. Many of our local bars and pubs carry a great selection of local brews such as McNellie’s Public House, Oak & Ore, Slaughter’s Hall and TapWerks. Looking for craft beer? We've got plenty of that too. OKC also offers up two great wineries: Water’s Edge Winery in Auto Alley and Put a Cork in It in Bricktown. Whatever your passion, you can get a libation with a side of OKC hospitality.
- The Must-Do List: If you just want to do all of the “Best of OKC” things on a staycation, we’ve made the perfect list for you. Here’s 10 things you can squeeze into one week or one weekend, including some must-stop restaurants and sights. This list is perfect for a girls getaway, couples weekend trip or a family trip everyone will love.