For those who prefer to fly solo, Oklahoma City offers almost endless activities for even the pickiest of travelers. Visitors can expect to enjoy the simplicity and safety of the city while experiencing everything it has to offer.
Something you may not know is that OKC has been increasing efforts to offer visitors a plethora of things to do, see and eat. Whether you want to visit almost endless art exhibits, travel to historical sites or embrace the live music and nightlife scene, it’s nearly impossible to get bored in The Modern Frontier. The casual and friendly vibe of the city ensures that you will never truly feel alone. Here is why Oklahoma City is a great choice for your future solo adventures.
Explore Downtown OKC
Within a three-mile, easily traveled radius are these top spots in Oklahoma City’s city center:
Myriad Botanical Gardens – One of the best in the Nation. The Myriad Botanical Gardens sprawls 17 acres with programming and spaces for year-round fun.
- Bricktown – Historic brick-paved streets that are teeming with people and lined with shops and eateries. If walking is not your thing, take a ride on the Bricktown Water Taxi and learn the history behind this famous district.
- Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum – Come to remember those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever by the events of April 19, 1995. With cutting-edge exhibits and interactive displays, the museum expertly walks visitors through the moments of chaos and confusion that led to justice and healing. Then, make your way outside to visit the Outdoor Symbolic Memorial, which is impactful both day and night.
- Oklahoma City Museum of Art – One of the region’s leading arts institutions, the museum offers a dynamic range of exhibitions organized from partners, collections and high-class museums from throughout the world. Their newest exhibit, The Painters of Pompeii, features ornate artwork that was preserved in the ashes of the Mt. Vesuvius eruption.
Delicious Food and Drink
Oklahoma City’s foodie landscape offers up unique fare with a wide assortment of dining options, making it easy for solo travelers to explore new flavors. Many chefs cultivate their dishes with inspiration from traditional Oklahoma cuisine like The Jones Assembly and Nonesuch, which was named “America’s Best New Restaurant” by Bon Appétit Magazine, among others.
Great food pairs well with fantastic drinks, and OKC offers a huge number of locations where solo travelers can indulge in craft beer and cocktails.
- Prairie Artisan Ales – Great and unique craft beer flavors you have got to try, Prairie celebrates their unique perspective on brewing offering up various brews from big and bold barrel-aged stouts and other times with super crisp and funky farmhouse ales.
- Fair Weather Friend Brewery – A small-batch craft brewery located in the heart of OKC, FWF offers patrons a creative selection of beers, ciders and artisan pizzas. Having both a fantastic indoor and outdoor space this brewery is sure to offer something pleasurable to any patron!
- Bradford House – The Bradford House Hotel Bar features a beautiful, soothing and inviting atmosphere with one of the most creative menus in town with top-notch cocktails that are consistently high-quality every time.
- Ludivine – An impeccably classic bar featuring well-made classic cocktails. If you are looking for good drinks in a speak-easy-styled bar, this is the spot for you! If you are looking for a bite to eat with your drinks, Ludivine offers a full menu utilizing fresh and uniquely curated ingredients that are sure to make your taste buds tingle.
Rest and Relaxation
- 21C Museum Hotel – The unique concept of 21C in Oklahoma City compared to other lodging locations is easy to spot. While most hotels offer guests the basic amenities, 21C takes it up a notch with each room being individually curated with artistic and modern design. After check-in, make sure to explore the hotel’s various exhibitions strung throughout the building.
- Omni Oklahoma City Hotel – Featuring 605 guest rooms and 29 suites, the new Omni Hotel in Oklahoma City offers its guests the perfect combination of sophistication and comfort. The hotel has a range of culinary concepts, including the Basin Bar, OKC Tap House, Bob's Steak & Chop House and Park Grounds coffee shop, among others.
- Skirvin Hilton – The historic Skirvin Hilton offers guests 100 years of tradition, elegance and luxury. This preserved contemporary-classic hotel offers the finest in guest accommodations with 225 recently renovated rooms and upscale amenities. This iconic hotel is also at the epicenter of Oklahoma City’s vibrant Districts with so many of the city’s most famous attractions close by.
- Aloft Hotel – At Aloft, guests will enjoy a fun and funky design with all the classic conveniences they expect with a hotel. The hotel prides itself on being extremely pet friendly, with a dog park right next to the property. Located within walking distance of many of the area’s most popular attractions, Aloft offers guests a lot more than just a place to rest their heads.
Check out our Top 10 Things to Do in OKC page for more inspiration for your next Oklahoma City visit!