Summer in OKC
There's a reason why USA Today Travel named us the best last-minute destination for your summer vacation! From Memorial Day to Labor Day, there's no shortage of summer excitement happening in Oklahoma City. Kick-off your summer fun with our guide to Memorial Day Weekend in OKC, and explore the coolest ways to beat the heat, new attractions and fun experiences you won't find anywhere else.
Splash it Out
For the perfect summer day in Oklahoma City, just add water! From water parks to splash pads, OKC has plenty of places to cool off when the heat turns on.
- Go whitewater rafting AND surfing in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City at RIVERSPORT Rapids & Adventures! The facility has outdoor thrills for all age levels. For more chill experiences in the Boathouse District, float along the Oklahoma River on a standup paddle board or kayak.
- Hurricane Harbor Oklahoma City (formerly White Water Bay) features more than 25 acres of classic water park fun, including family raft rides, a lazy river, water slides and a huge wave pool. You'll have to try them all.
- Cool off at OKC's newest urban oasis, Scissortail Park! Frolic through the interactive splash pads or rent a paddleboat and hit the lake.
Explore OKC's Must-Visit Attractions
- The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum brings the West to life through their exhibits and galleries. Say hi to Tim at #HashTagTheCowboy and make sure to save time to visit their interactive outdoor exhibit, Liichokoshkomo', which features replicas of an Intertribal Village and Western structures.
- Did you know that summertime is the favorite season of the animals of the Oklahoma City Zoo? It's true! See more than 1,900 animal species at OKC's wildest attraction. For those 21 and up, check out their weekly Sip & Stroll!
- Go glamping in the Conestoga Wagons & Teepees at Orr Family Farm and make memories the whole family will remember. Reservations include exclusive access to Orr Family Farm activities and, of course, s'mores roasted over an open fire.
- Come to remember at the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum. With cutting-edge exhibits and interactive displays, the museum expertly walks visitors through the events of April 19, 1995 and the justice and healing that followed. Include time to visit the Outdoor Symbolic Memorial at night for an impactful and stunning scene.
- Take in the downtown Oklahoma City skyline on the Wheeler Ferris Wheel in the Wheeler District!
Experience all of the exciting things Oklahoma City has to offer! Discover more of the city's must-do activities.
Don't-Miss OKC Events
This summer, Oklahoma City is seeing the return of many beloved annual events with new COVID-friendly precautions in place! You won't want to miss the fun at any of these locally-loved celebrations.
- Chuck Wagon Festival (May 29-30)
- deadCenter Film Festival (June 10-20)
- OKC Pride Week (June 25-27)
- Festival of the Arts (June 22-27)
- Prix de West (June 25-26)
- Paseo Arts Festival (Sept. 4-6)
Discover more of OKC's Annual Events to add to your itinerary.
Nothing says summer quite like a barbecue meal, and you can find some of the state's best BBQ in Oklahoma City. Browse through local favorites below and make plans to chow down.