Edmond resident receives two left ventricular assist devices (LVAD) at INTEGRIS Health before a July 2021 heart transplant in Oklahoma City; April is National Donate Life Month
OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma City Dodgers and INTEGRIS Health continue the “Home Run For Life” series for an 11th season and recognize their first honoree of 2022, Jack Chappell of Edmond, during the Dodgers’ 7:05 p.m. game Saturday against the Sugar Land Space Cowboys at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Chappell was diagnosed with heart failure in 2013 and was referred to cardiologists at INTEGRIS Health. He underwent placement of a HeartMate 2 Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) twice there before it was recommended that Chappell pursue a heart transplant. He was subsequently placed on the transplant list in 2020.
Just nine months ago, in July 2021, Chappell received his new heart at INTEGRIS Health and will now be honored during National Donate Life Month.
“Home Run For Life” recognizes individuals in the Oklahoma City community who have overcome a significant medical event with the help of their families, physicians and health care professionals. To symbolize the end of their battle against adversity, honorees take a home run “lap” around the bases during an in-game ceremony.
“Each month during the baseball season, we are proud to partner with INTEGRIS Health to honor the perseverance and courage displayed by these incredible Oklahomans,” OKC Dodgers President/General Manager Michael Byrnes said. “’Home Run For Life’ allows us to uniquely recognize their amazing and inspiring stories of triumph over significant health challenges.”
While waiting for a heart transplant, Chappell was hospitalized in March 2021 after complications from a bout with asymptomatic COVID-19 in late 2020 that left him with internal bleeding.
He said the doctors put it plainly: “The only way to fix it is to put a new heart in you.”
Chappell, now 58, spent four months in the hospital waiting for his new heart, but he didn’t let that stop him from being productive. He had a desk set up in his hospital room allowing him to work remotely. Chappell didn’t miss a single paycheck.
“Why not?” Chappell replied when asked about his desire to work from his room. “I’m not going to sit around here and dwell on being sick.”
Chappell became a regular at INTEGRIS Health, getting acquainted with many of the staff. He raves about the quality of care and company he received at INTEGRIS Health.
“They’d been through the journey with me this whole time,” he said. “They’re great caregivers.”
In July 2021, everyone received the good news. Chappell was getting his new heart.
“I’m one of the fortunate ones,” he said.
The OKC Dodgers are in the midst of a 12-game homestand at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark that continues tonight at 7:05 p.m. Upcoming promotional highlights include:
• Friday, April 29: Gates open at 6 p.m. and the first 1,000 fans receive an OKC Dodgers hat. Friday Night Fireworks presented by Springhill Suites are also scheduled to follow the game, which falls on a Braum’s Friends and Family Night featuring a special offer for groups of 10 or more.
• Saturday, April 30: Girl Scout Night is Saturday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Groups of 10 or more can enjoy a special ticket package and participate in a pregame on-field parade.
• Sunday, May 1: After the conclusion of the 2:05 p.m. game, kids can take the field to run the bases.
• Tuesday, May 3: A Field Trip Day is set for an 11:05 a.m. first pitch and gives students a chance to enjoy a fun class outing before the school year ends. Groups of 10 or more can purchase a special ticket package.
• Friday, May 6: Revel: Speed Painter presented by Courtyard by Marriott will perform. The performance artist creates works of art live, upside down and in less than two minutes. His 2021 performance resulted in the Dodgers winning a coveted Golden Bobblehead for Best In-Game Promotion/Feature during the 2021 Minor League Baseball season. Fireworks are scheduled to follow the game. An All-You-Can-Eat ticket offer is also available, providing a terrace level seat and all-you-can-eat food, including hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, and soft drinks for $25.
• Saturday, May 7: Braum’s Friends and Family Night features a special offer for groups of 10 or more. Also, Braum’s Friends & Family 4-Packs are available, including four tickets, four hats and four Braum’s restaurant vouchers starting at just $43.99.
• Sunday, May 8: Following the conclusion of the 2:05 p.m. game, kids can take the field to run the bases.
Live radio coverage of each OKC Dodgers game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps. All OKC Dodgers games are also available streamed live on MiLB.TV with a subscription.