December in OKC
There is always something to explore in the Modern Frontier, and this month is no different. The holiday season is officially upon us, and there's a lot of excitement happening in the city to ring in the holiday season. Here are a few more of our recommendations of ways to discover Oklahoma City this month!
'Tis the Season to be Jolly
- Get in the yuletide spirit with downtown Oklahoma City's annual holiday extravaganza, Downtown in December! The fun is back this year with light displays, holiday pop-up shops and more.
- Have a Holiday in the Park at OKC's only amusement park, Frontier City.
- See Ebenezer Scrooge come to life at Lyric Theatre's annual production of A Christmas Carol at Harn Homestead.
- Tip your hat to the holidays at the Cowboy Christmas Parade in the historic Stockyards City on Dec. 4.
- Go wild at the OKC Zoo's Safari Lights, a festive drive-thru and walk-thru, showcasing over 59 wildlife themed light sculptures.
- Enjoy ice skating, curling, climbing, skiing, snowboarding and more at Winter Glow, Riversport's new winter experience.
- Wander through the Festival of Trees at Chisholm Creek.
- Explore Scissortail Park's festive happenings, such as Union Station Illumination, 'Tis the Season Market, Santa visits and more!
- Hear your favorite holiday tunes live at Civic Center Music Hall with special performances by Canterbury Voices and the OKC Philharmonic.
- Marvel at the dancing snowflakes, the Kingdom of Sweets and more at the Oklahoma City Ballet's annual performance of The Nutcracker.
Shop 'til You Drop
From local boutiques to national retailers, OKC is serving up all the retail therapy you could need. With the holidays quickly approaching, there's never been a better time to shop your way through Oklahoma City. Explore locally-owned and locally-loved shops like Painted Door Gift Boutique or Tin Lizzie's. Pick up a souvenir to commemorate your time in the Modern Frontier at Shop Good or Plenty Mercantile. If major retailers are your thing, make time to explore the OKC Outlets, Penn Square Mall and Classen Curve. Discover unique treasures at these only-in-OKC shops. You can find something for everyone on your list in Oklahoma City!
Cheers to 2022
Ring in the New Year in the Modern Frontier! Opening Night, the OKC Arts Council's annual party, is back this year at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Festivities will include music, a mural competition and a children’s area with themed, hands-on art projects. Bid farewell to 2021 with an evening of fun and fireworks!
We hope you're ready to rock around the Modern Frontier this yuletide season! Looking for more cold-weather fun? Unwrap our Winter Guide to discover even more of this season's must-dos.