The latest project from the award-winning local culinary mastermind brings yet another thoughtful, indulgent dining experience to the heart of Oklahoma City in the newly reimagined First National Center
(OKLAHOMA CITY, OK) – August 25, 2022 – Why take a flight to Paris when you can experience the authentic flavors and experience of an upscale European-style cafe stateside?
On September 1, 2022, Oklahoma City will officially welcome its newest transportive culinary experience, The Gilded Acorn–a reimagined pâtisserie located in the recently opened First National Center helmed by Oklahoma City’s James Beard nominated Chef Andrew Black of acclaimed local restaurants, Black Walnut and Grey Sweater.
With a soulful focus on the sweeter side of cooking, The Gilded Acorn will pay homage to the Gilded Age of extravagance and glamour, offering a selection of decadent housemade treats, sweet confections, and indulgent desserts, as well as high tea service and a curated collection of champagne featuring selections from around the world – ideal for an elegant afternoon affair in Downtown Oklahoma City.
Inspired by the jaw-dropping and magical jewelry displays that beguile passersby at Tiffany & Co., The Gilded Acorn will serve as a mecca for gifting with a stunning window display on Robinson Avenue rotating every three months with a festive new theme. For those looking to surprise loved ones with something special, or to treat themselves, a large case filled with pastries and seasonal treats such as macarons, housemade chocolate, gelato, cookies, traditional French cakes and other decadent bites will be available for takeaway, alongside an expansive coffee menu.
“Our goal is to bring a sweet new gourmet experience to the epicenter of Downtown in one of the most exciting new buildings to open in Oklahoma City this century. We are thrilled to be a part of this monumental project and look forward to opening our doors to locals and travelers near & far this fall,” says Chef Black.
Situated on the ground floor of the First National Center, The Gilded Acorn serves as an urban embrace inspired by the near-century old history of the building’s art deco design with a modern touch. Expect floral French-cafe inspired wallpaper, tuxedo tiles, plush emerald green seating, and a variety of indoor and outdoor dining options stationed around intimate bistro tables, offering a relaxing and comfortable environment to enjoy breakfast, mid-day coffee, high tea, or a quick work meeting.
Menu highlights at The Gilded Acorn include:
Pastry & Tea
- High Tea Service ($45 per person) featuring globally sourced tea accompanied by housemade scones, petite desserts & bites, with option to add champagne as a supplement. High tea is available via reservation-only, and must be booked two-days in advance, available from 3pm – 7pm daily.
- Pistachio & Crème Brûlée Éclair
- Mascarpone Mousse Raspberry Bomb
- Gilded Acorn Chocolate Mousse
- Champagne Poached Chicken Sandwich ($16): caramelized apple, arugula & melted brie cheese
- French Dip ($19): choice of roasted beef or turkey served on a baguette with provolone cheese, au jus, chipotle & pickled onions
- Quiche Lorraine Ham & Cheese ($12)
- Shock Oysters ($6/piece)
- Toast & Caviar (MKT): Kaluga Caviar, brioche toast, red onions & diced eggs
- Torchon ($18): brioche toast & blueberry gastriqué
- Pate de Champagne ($24): arugula, fried capers, pickled onions & olive oil
- Oysters & Pearls (MKT)
- Niçoise Shrimp ($16): shrimp, garlic confit potatoes, green beans, boiled eggs & strawberry vinaigrette
- Gilded salad ($17): crispy butter lettuce, frisée, bacon vinaigrette, poached egg, rosemary croutons, candied bacon & sundried tomatoes
A native of Jamaica, James Beard-nominated Chef Andrew Black grew up around a tantalizing array of food which sparked his passion for the culinary arts at an early age. With humble origins as a teen working for free at various island resorts squeezing thousands of oranges a day, Chef Black climbed the ranks and was eventually offered the opportunity to travel to Europe to be trained at some of the continent’s finest hotels and restaurants. Having cooked at fine dining restaurants all over the world, he is proud to call Oklahoma City his new adopted home city for well over two decades and counting. In 2019, he debuted both Grey Sweater, a free-thinking, daring, flamboyant, and beloved fine dining restaurant, followed by Black Walnut, with an intentionally a la carte dining experience. His passion for food and cooking is evident in the way he challenges traditional rules and lets his creativity run wild.
The Gilded Acorn will be open days a week from Monday – Saturday from 7am – 7pm, and is located at 120 N. Robinson Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102 on the corner of Park Avenue and Robinson Street, at the epicenter of the Central Business District. Boasting an extensive urban growth, new public transportation, and more than 55,000 people who work in its neighboring businesses, First National Center will continue to spur prosperity downtown, encouraging the continuing development of Oklahoma City