New virtual reality attraction gives OKC guests an up-close experience with the endangered mountain gorillas of Volcanoes National Park in Africa.
Discover a new kind of wild encounter with the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden’s all-new Gorilla Trek Virtual Reality (VR) Experience. Fans will find themselves trekking through the lush forests of Rwanda to get a close-up look at mountain gorillas – without leaving the Zoo!
Developed by Immotion, the global leader in immersive edutainment, Gorilla Trek VR at the OKC Zoo will take guests on a virtual journey as they enjoy a 360-degree live action film with motion platform seating for an unprecedented look at endangered mountain gorillas in their natural habitat in Rwanda. Venture with world-renowned primatologist and Executive Director/CEO of Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, Dr. Tara Stoinski, as she leads Immotion’s award-winning VR team through the dense and unforgiving Volcanoes National Park, documenting the family dynamics of these amazing, majestic and critically-endangered creatures who share 98% of our human DNA.
“We are excited to partner with Immotion to bring this unique opportunity to the Zoo,” said OKC Zoo’s Chief Operating Officer, Trevor Leonard. “Through advanced technology and conservation education, this experience offers guests an exciting and memorable way to learn more about mountain gorillas, and the importance of protecting these critically endangered animals and their habitat.”
OKC ZOO GORILLA TREK VR EXPERIENCE FAQ
- Where is it located, open? Located inside the Zoo’s Great EscApe Building, Gorilla Trek VR is open Thursday through Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. During Spring Break, Saturday, March 11 through Sunday, March 19, Gorilla Trek VR will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- What is the cost? $8 per person plus Zoo admission.
- What’s included with this experience? An amazing 360-degree VR adventure viewed through personal headsets complete with motion seats and immersive sound.
- How long is the experience? It lasts for approximately 7 minutes.
- It there a minimum height requirement? This is limited for only guests taller than 36” and able to wear a headset.
- Is there an age limit? Guests under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
- What is Virtual Reality (VR)? With VR we can use a headset to immerse you “into the action” with a 360-degree video.
- Do I need to do anything? Nope, just sit back and enjoy! With motion seats and immersive sound, it’s a cinema experience like no other!
- This experience may cause motion sickness.
OKC Zoo is home to two troops of Western lowland gorillas, a family troop and a bachelor troop, and is committed to helping protect wild gorilla populations and their habitat. The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund (DFGF) is one of the OKC Zoo’s legacy conservation partners and funds provided by the Zoo are used to support operations at the Karisoke Research Center, which is the base for DFGF’s field activities.
Interested in helping save wild gorillas? Donate unwanted cell phones and other electronic devices to the OKC Zoo in support of the Eco-Cell Recycling Program. Cell phones have a direct effect on wildlife. Coltan is a substance frequently used in small electronics. Mining for coltan threatens gorillas and their habitats. When these electronic devices are recycled through the Eco-Cell, older cell phones are disposed of according to strict environmental standards. New cell phones are refurbished and sold in developing countries. This process decreases the global market for new cell phones! The Zoo accepts donated cell phones and other items year-round in its Guest Services office during regular park hours. To learn more about the program and approved items, click here.
Get closer than ever to gorillas in the jungle with the OKC Zoo’s new Gorilla Trek VR experience! The Oklahoma City Zoo is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily with the last entry at 4 p.m. Purchase advance Zoo admission tickets at okczoo.org/tickets and avoid the entry lines. Located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35, the OKC Zoo is a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American Alliance of Museums, Oklahoma City’s Adventure District and an Adventure Road partner. Regular admission is $16 for adults and $13 for children ages 3-11 and seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free.
Stay connected with the Zoo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linktree and TikTok, and by visiting our blog stories. Support your love and passion for wildlife and wild places with a ZOOfriends Membership Passport to the OKC Zoo. There’s a membership level for every kind of explorer with amazing benefits plus, you are supporting the OKC Zoo, its animals, programs and conservation efforts. Memberships can be purchased at okczoo.org/membership.