The highlight of the Halloween season, Haunt the Zoo runs Saturdays and Sundays, October 8-30, offering a uniquely fun, contact-free trick-or-treating experience and festive activities for all involved.
The Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden proudly hosts the 39th annual Haunt the Zoo for Halloween. Presented by Oklahoma’s Own News 9, Haunt the Zoo, is Oklahoma’s Halloween destination for tricking-or-treating fun, festive favorites, togetherness and always, an abundance of sweets and treats! The OKC Zoo provides a safe and unique setting for this beloved fall tradition, connecting participants to nature and wondrous wildlife as they trick-or-treat through the Zoo. Haunt the Zoo occurs over eight days, Saturdays and Sundays, October 8 through 30, to allow for adequate social distancing among guests. Trick-or-treating is available each day from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a morning reservation block between 9 a.m. to noon and an afternoon block between noon to 4 p.m. The trick-or-treat trail will close at 4 p.m. General Zoo admission or ZOOfriends memberships plus, official Haunt the Zoo treat bags are required to trick-or-treat and must be purchased in advance.
While on your trick-or-treating safari build in time to explore the Zoo’s new BRICKLIVE Animal Paradise. Sponsored by Devon this must-see exhibit connects guests of all ages with wildlife through brick-built, life-sized animal displays constructed with more than two million toy bricks! Located within the Zoo’s butterfly garden area, BRICKLIVE educates wildlife fans about many of the planet’s endangered species while building an appreciation for conservation and biodiversity. Combo ticket options offering Zoo admission, Haunt the Zoo treat bags and single-day entry to BRICKLIVE will be available online at $24/adult (12-64) and $21/child (3-11) and $21/senior (65+). Trick-or-treat bags for children 2 and under are $7/bag or $6/bag (ZOOfriends members). To purchase tickets and view all bundle options visit www.okczoo.org/HTZ. General Zoo admission or ZOOfriends memberships plus, official Haunt the Zoo treat bags are required to trick-or-treat and must be purchased in advance. Event admission and trick-or-treat bags will be limited to ensure social distancing.
“We are thrilled to host Oklahoma’s select Halloween celebration sharing new activities and event elements with families and friends that attend,” said Jenna Dodson, OKC Zoo’s events manager. “OKC Zoo prides itself on creating a safe and memorable experience, immersing participants in the sights, sounds and fun of the fall season.”
Trick-or-treaters will go wild as they collect sweets and treats from friendly volunteers at 13 candy stations located along the Haunt the Zoo trail. Volunteers will distribute candy and tasty snacks through 8-foot “treat tubes” into trick-or-treat bags from a safe distance. Be in awe as you walk the trail and discover 20 originally created booths displaying an array of family-friendly decorations and elaborate props, providing perfect photo op moments. Adults and kids alike are invited to wear their Halloween costumes during Haunt the Zoo. Full costume face masks and fake weapons are prohibited.
HAUNT THE ZOO ADMISSION TIPS
- Haunt the Zoo tickets are on sale now at www.okczoo.org/HTZ.
- General Zoo admission or ZOOfriends memberships plus, official Haunt the Zoo treat bags are required to trick-or-treat and must be purchased in advance at www.okczoo.org/HTZ.
- Combo ticket options for Haunt the Zoo and BRICKLIVE are available:
- BUNDLE OPTION #1: Includes Zoo admission, Haunt the Zoo treat bag and single-day entry to BRICKLIVE for $24/adult for nonmembers and $10/adult for members; $21/child and senior
sfor members and $10/child and seniors for members and $7/infant (ages 2 and under) for nonmembers and $6/infant for members.
- BUNDLE OPTION #2: Includes Zoo admission and Haunt the Zoo treat bag for $19/adult for nonmembers and $6/adult for members; $16/child and seniors for members and $6/child and seniors for members and $7/infant (ages 2 and under) for nonmembers and $6/infant for members.
- BUNDLE OPTION #3: Includes Zoo admission and single day entry to BRICKLIVE for $17/adult for nonmembers and $4/adult for members; $14/child and senior for nonmembers and $4/child and senior for members and free for infants (ages 2 and under). Parents who do not need a Trick-or-Treat bag will select this option or buy general admission at the Zoo.
- Please arrive within the time of your Haunt the Zoo reservation in order to enter the Zoo quickly and easily.
- All treats distributed as part of Haunt the Zoo are made with certified sustainable palm oil. For a complete list of Halloween candy makers who are members of the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and are committed to making a difference for wild orangutans and other endangered species by using certified sustainable palm oil, click here.
The Haunt the Zoo merriment continues with these festive happenings:
- OKC Zoo’s Annual Pumpkin Drive – Orange you glad it’s time for the Zoo’s annual Pumpkin Drive! From Saturday, October 1 through Friday, October 7, guests bringing a pumpkin larger than their heads to the Zoo during regular hours will receive free same-day admission. Limit one free admission per person. Pumpkins will be available for purchase in front of the Zoo. Donated pumpkins will help create the Haunt the Zoo scene.
- Pumpkin Painting Craft – Let your little pumpkins get crafty with this fun, hands-on activity and create a personal pumpkin from the event at an additional cost. Ideal for kids 11 and under. This activity will take place at the Zoo’s picnic area and capacity is limited per event date.
- Hay Maze – Let your kiddo enjoy this interactive activity at no additional cost. The Hay Maze is located at the Zoo’s picnic area.
- Halloween-Themed Sea Lion Presentation – The Zoo’s marine mammal team created a special sea lion presentation that focuses on popular Halloween characters and movies that are “delightful not frightful,” making this appropriate for young ages. These presentations are exclusive to Haunt the Zoo dates at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the sea lion stadium. Admission is $5 per person and children two and under are free.
- Endangered Species Carousel – Take a “boo”rrific spin on the carousel – all decked out for Haunt the Zoo. Additional fees apply for each ride and can be purchased in advance with your admission tickets or on-site. Children two and under ride for free.
Be part of the Haunt the Zoo tradition and volunteer! We need hundreds of volunteers to make Haunt the Zoo a sweet success. Volunteers will help with distributing goodies to trick-or-treaters through “treat tubes” and manning lines at the candy stations. Volunteers must be 14 or older. This opportunity is ideal for individuals, families and groups. To learn more about volunteering or to sign up, click here.
Haunt the Zoo event dates are Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9; Saturday, October 15 and Sunday, October 16; Saturday, October 22 and Sunday, October 23; and Saturday, October 29 and Sunday, October 30.
Haunt the Zoo 2022 sponsors to date include Oklahoma’s Own News 9, Frito-Lay and Sam’s Club. Additional sponsorship opportunities are available, providing excellent marketing, community support and volunteer opportunities. To learn more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready for a wildly fun, unforgettable Halloween season this Haunt the Zoo! The Oklahoma City Zoo is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Advance tickets are required for all guests and ZOOfriends members and can be purchased at www.okczoo.org/tickets. Zoo tickets are limited each day to ensure safe social distancing among guests. Located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35, the OKC Zoo is a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American Alliance of Museums, Oklahoma City’s Adventure District and an Adventure Road partner. Regular admission is $12 for adults and $9 for children ages 3-11 and seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. Stay connected with the Zoo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Linktree and by visiting our blog stories. Zoo fans can support the OKC Zoo by becoming a ZOOfriends member. Starting at $45, memberships can be purchased at ZOOfriends.org and provide access to the OKC Zoo for an entire year plus, additional benefits and discounts. To learn more about Zoo happenings, call (405) 424-3344 or visit okczoo.org.