United States Air Force Academy safety, Trey Taylor, will formally accept the 2023 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award in Oklahoma City on Tuesday, February 6, 2024. In addition, Kenny Gallop Jr. from Howard University will be presented the 2nd annual Aeneas Williams Award Presented by the Chickasaw Nation, awarded to the best defensive back in HBCU Division I college football.
Tuesday, February 6, 2024
5:30-6:45 p.m. – Media Interviews and Press Conference
5:00-5:30 p.m. – Guests of Honor, Former Winners and Special Attendees Arrivals, Media can conduct personal interviews at this time
6:00-6:45 p.m. – Press Conference
6:00-6:45 p.m. – Public Cocktail Reception
7:00-9:00 p.m. – Banquet
National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
1700 N.E. 63rd St., Oklahoma City, OK 73111
Press Conference located in Board Room
Banquet located in Special Events Center
Special Guests in Attendance:
Trey Taylor, Accepting 2023 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award, Air Force
- First Thorpe Award Winner from Air Force
- Only the second in Air Force history to win a major college football award – joining Chad Hennings, 1987 Outland Trophy
- Three-year starter for the Falcons as a defensive back
- Senior season, he totaled 71 tackles, 39 solo, 3 interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), and 4 pass break-ups.
- 2023 Defender of the Nation Award – given to a college football player from one of the nation’s service academies based on exceptional leadership and performance on and off the field
- Announced on Jan 31st: The East-West Shrine Bowl Pat Tillman Award Winner – presented to a player who best exemplifies character, intelligence, sportsmanship and service
Kenny Gallop Jr., Accepting 2023 Aeneas Williams Award, Howard University
- Senior season, he recorded 65 tackles, 40 solo, one-and-a-half sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 3 passes defended and 3 interceptions for 26 yards through 11 games.
- FCS National Defensive Player of the Week honor in Howard’s homecoming victory over Norfolk State, where he also had a season-high 11 tackles and the game-clinching interception.
- Incredible performance led Howard’s secondary to top the FCS in pass defense, allowing only 129.1 pass yards per game.
- HBCU All-American Team, FCS Football Central All-American Team, and Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year
Khalil Baker, 2022 Aeneas Williams Award Winner, North Carolina Central University
HBCU National Champion
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, 2022 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Winner, TCU
First-Team All-American, current cornerback for the Los Angeles Rams
Darqueze Dennard, 2013 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Winner, Michigan State
Unanimous All-American from Michigan State, first round NFL Draft pick and had a 7-year career in the NFL
Malcolm Jenkins, 2008 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Winner, Ohio State
Consensus All-American, 2-time Super Bowl Champion, 3-time Pro-Bowler and played 13 seasons in the NFL, most notable with the New Orleans Saints
Antoine Cason, 2007 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Winner, Arizona
Consensus All-American, spent 6 years in the NFL, mostly with San Diego Chargers (now Los Angeles Chargers)
Roy Williams, 2001 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Winner, OU
National Champion, played 9 seasons in the NFL with Dallas Cowboys & Cincinnati Bengals, 5-time Pro-Bowler
Greg Myers, 1995 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Winner, Colorado State
2-time All-American, spent 4 years in the NFL, most notably with the Cincinnati Bengals and one season with the Dallas Cowboys
Antonio Langham, 1993 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award Winner, Alabama
National Champion, played 7 seasons in the NFL, most notably with the Cleveland Browns
Family of Jim Thorpe as well as Aeneas and Tracy Williams, of their respective namesake awards will be in attendance. Previous winners of the Thorpe Award and Aeneas Williams Award will also be alongside to honor these new recipients. There will also be special appearances during the evening from the United States Air Force officials and Tinker Air Force Base representatives and Honor Guard.
The Press Conference and Media Interviews portion of the event is open to all media affiliates. Please RSVP in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media wristbands will be available to pick up upon arrival at registration.
Complimentary seating at the banquet is unavailable at this time. Limited individual tickets remain available for purchase here until sold out.
Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame is committed to providing the safest experience possible for all of our events. The health and well being of all guests and attendees are of the utmost importance.