For those who prefer flying solo, Oklahoma City offers almost endless activities for even the pickiest of travelers. Visitors can expect to enjoy the simplicity and safety of the city while experiencing everything it has to offer.
Something you may not know is that OKC has been increasing efforts to offer visitors a plethora of things to do, see and eat. Whether you want to visit almost endless art exhibits, travel to historical sites or embrace the nightlife scene, it’s nearly impossible to get bored in The Modern Frontier. The casual and friendly vibe of the city ensures that you will never truly feel alone. Here is why Oklahoma City is a great option for your future solo adventures.
Explore Downtown OKC
Within a four-mile, easily traveled radius are these top spots in OKC's city center:
- Scissortail Park – Sprawling out over 40-acres and featuring a plethora of native prairie grasses, lush flower gardens and tree-lined walkways, Scissortail Park offers an abundance of activities for visitors to see and do. From lake watercraft, live music events, a roller rink and much more provides all the joys of nature while supplying all the urban amenities one would expect from a city.
- First Americans Museum – One of OKC's newest museums, in one place, visitors will experience the collective histories of all 39 distinctive First American Nations who call Oklahoma home. The museum showcases state-of-the-art exhibitions, a gift shop stocked with items from premier First American artists and suppliers and indigenous-inspired cuisine in the Thirty Nine restaurant.
- Bricktown – The historic brick-paved streets are teeming with people and lined with shops and eateries. If walking is not your thing, take a ride on the Bricktown Water Taxi and learn the history behind this famous district.
- Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum – Come to remember those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever by the events of April 19, 1995. With cutting-edge exhibits and interactive displays, the museum expertly walks visitors through the moments of chaos and confusion that led to justice and healing. Then, make your way outside to visit the Outdoor Symbolic Memorial, which is impactful both day and night.
- Oklahoma City Museum of Art – One of the region’s leading arts institutions, the museum offers a dynamic range of exhibitions organized by partners, collections and high-class museums from throughout the world. Their newest exhibition, The Perfect Shot, features over 80 sports photographs by iconic photographer Walter Iooss Jr.
Delicious Food and Drink
Oklahoma City’s foodie landscape offers up eclectic fare with a wide assortment of dining options, making it easy for solo travelers to explore new flavors. Many chefs cultivate their dishes with inspiration from traditional Oklahoma cuisine like The Jones Assembly or more experimental concepts like Grey Sweater, whose head chef was just awarded the famed “James Beard Award”, among others.
Great food pairs well with fantastic drinks, and OKC offers a huge number of locations where solo travelers can indulge in coffee, craft beer and cocktails.
- Perets Dessert & Coffee Bar – This late-night cozy coffee den has a mission to bring you a little peace in this chaotic world. Featuring mouth-watering coffee combinations and affogatos, Perets is an ever-changing experience with their regularly rotated flavor combinations.
- Prairie Artisan Ales – Great and unique craft beer flavors you have got to try, Prairie celebrates their unique perspective on brewing, offering up various brews from big and bold barrel-aged stouts and other times with super crisp and funky farmhouse ales.
- Fair Weather Friend Brewery – A small-batch craft brewery located in the heart of OKC, FWF offers patrons a creative selection of beers, ciders and artisan pizzas. Having both a fantastic indoor and outdoor space, this brewery is sure to offer something pleasurable to any patron!
- Bar Arbolada – Bar Arbolada features a beautiful, soothing and inviting atmosphere hosting a classic drink menu with top-notch cocktails that are consistently high-quality every time.
- O Bar - O Bar is an upscale bar boasting the best views of the Oklahoma City skyline. Their drink menu features creative signature cocktails and an extensive wine list for patrons to enjoy.
Rest and Relaxation
- Skirvin Hilton – The historic Skirvin Hilton offers guests 100 years of tradition, elegance and luxury. This preserved contemporary-classic hotel offers the finest in guest accommodations with 225 recently renovated rooms and upscale amenities. This iconic hotel is also at the epicenter of Oklahoma City’s vibrant Districts with so many of the city’s most famous attractions close by.
- 21C Museum Hotel – The unique concept of 21C in Oklahoma City compared to other lodging locations is easy to spot. While most hotels offer guests the basic amenities, 21C takes it up a notch with each room being individually curated with artistic and modern design. After check-in, make sure to explore the hotel’s various exhibitions strung throughout the building.
- Omni Oklahoma City Hotel – Featuring 605 guest rooms and 29 suites, the new Omni Hotel in Oklahoma City offers its guests the perfect combination of sophistication and comfort. The hotel has a range of culinary concepts, including the Basin Bar, OKC Tap House, Bob's Steak & Chop House and Park Grounds coffee shop, among others.
Check out our Top 10 Things to Do in OKC page for more inspiration for your next Oklahoma City visit!